Friday, January 2, 2009

I'm spending New Year's weekend in a country inn

It's a bunch of mostly modern Orthodox Jews - men in crocheted kippot, women in hats and skirts.  And it's been fun, mostly.  The smaller kids, fascinated by the yarn I was winding, gravitated to me, and I ended up making both a tiny hat and a tiny purse - dolly sized.

But there's also politics.  And this crowd believes that the only focus should be Israel, and many also believe that only Republicans care about Israel (and yes, a lot are plain scared of Obama.  *Shakes head.*)

I am focused on Israel.  I think it is important.  However, I also believe that the best protection Israel has is not a US that says, "We support you" but a US that is strong militarily and economically, and is respected overseas.

That is not us.  That has not been us for a long time now.  We are fighting two wars, our economy is falling and the rest of the world thinks we're willing to attack on a whim.  All bad things.  All under Israel's great friend Bush.  Who actually doesn't care about Israelis anyway - just his religious goals.

Anyway, I heard praises for Fox News, I heard men repeating rumors (we don't know anything about Obama, we don't even know where he was born, we haven't investigated the Ayers thing - all things that were, in fact, investigated.  And found to be nothing.)  One man thought that the Republicans have found a connection between Madoff and Obama and therefore Obama would not become president.

1.  This shows a sad lack of knowledge of the US Constitution, since there is no mechanism for removing a president-elect before inaugauration.

2.  If the Republicans could have done something, if they actually knew something, they'd have done it already. 

3.  I cannot imagine what that sort of connection could be,  besides maybe Obama had ALSO been scammed,and there's no evidence of that.  Blagojevich is a bigger threat and yet, he isn't one.

My biggest amusement - all of these things?  From the web and Fox news, but I was naive for believing the web and MSNBC (which I am aware is biased.  It's biased mostly my way, but I know it is.) 

2 comments:

Doctor Science said...

Thank you very much for this post. I have been heartened in the past week or so to see less flamage on the political blogs about the situation in Gaza than I expected. My expectations, of course, were "instant conflagration", so it didn't take much -- but it's definitely a move in the right direction.

Have you seen J Street? It's a new organization with a largely-Jewish membership, devoted to lobbying for peaceful, pro-Israel solutions. I was very much struck, going over their list of big-name supporters, at the absence of Conservative and Orthodox affiliations. I don't really understand why they are so resolutely aligned with Likud and the militaristic factions in Israel -- if it's something about their interpretation of Torah and the role of Eretz Israel, or if it has to do with US politics.

Anonymous said...

(Admittedly, I'm making gross generalizations here, but) Wow, I didn't realize attitudes like that (being scared of Obama, praising Fox news) were prevalent even in the kippah srugah communities. (I grew up black hat but have left the fold entirely.)